[Mg-t] TD transmission problem solved

To: mg-t@autox.team.net, MG_TABC <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [Mg-t] TD transmission problem solved
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:30:11 -0500
Thanks all who replied to my questions about the TD transmission.   I
love the information readily at hand from belonging to these groups
and  I did figure out what was going on.

The early TD transmission had a in the shift lever housing with a
stop for the 3rd/4th shifter shaft at the rear,  the while the later
TD had a hole with a bearing for greater support with a longer shaft
instead of the stop.  They added a circlip to the opposite end of the
shaft to prevent the 3rd/4th shifter shaft from overshooting in 3rd
since a stop was no longer present.

judging from the marks at the end of the shaft, whoever worked on the
transmission last, took a later shaft and cut it down to fit except
they left the shaft about 3/16" too long which didn't allow the lever
to move completely into third.

I whipped out my metal cutter and took off 3"16 from the end of the
shaft  and it shifts perfectly.

Mike