Re: [Mg-t] Shipping an MG across the pond.

To: "'RickL'" <vinmoto@comcast.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Shipping an MG across the pond.
From: Jesús Benajes <jbenajes@mot.upv.es>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:35:25 +0200
Hello RickL.

I guess that air freight would be too expensive, while shipping it in a
20-feet container is something very usual. Many ocean freight companies do
it on a regular basis.

The cost depends on the company, and on the origin and destination harbours.
In December 2006, I got a car shipped from New York to Valencia, Spain, for
1700 $, plus some expenses at the destination port. A friend did the same
this winter from Houston to Valencia, and he found a company at 1650 $
without insurance and another at 2600 $ with insurance.

There are cheaper possibilities, like shipping it without a container (they
will use forks to load and download, which is not recommended at all) or
Ro-Ro, if the car can be driven (the car can be damaged while in the ship),
but the 20 feet container is the way to go.

The transit time from East coast to Europe is of about four weeks.

Regards.

Jeszs
1953 MGTD
Valencia, Spain