Re: rear end ratios

To: Larry A Hoy <mgbv8@juno.com>
Subject: Re: rear end ratios
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 23:38:08 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Larry-

Glenn has no e-mail address, and no computer. Look what happened when
Ian got a computer. Think what would happen if Glenn got one.

Hi Ian !

Apples & oranges. With 15" wheels, T-5 with.63 5th gear, 3.00 ratio, my
original rear, 70 mph at 2000 rpms.
every thing the same except 3.50 rear, 59 mph at 2000 rpms. Have not had
a chance to hit 70 to check rpms, will do that tomorrow on the way to
work.

My roadster with T-50  trans, 14" wheels & 3.00 rear, 5th is .73, 70 mph
is 3000 rpms. You need to do the math to see if the 3.90  is suitable,
depending on your driving style. Most of my driving is Beltway &
Interstate in the 60-75 mph range. A steady 3000 rpm is OK, but I would
not like to run the engine much faster than this for extended use. Just
a personal opinion. The roadster described above did over 200,000 miles
like this before breaking a rocker shaft. Because of the high miles, I
just swapped in another engine, but when the old unit was stripped,
everything was still within specs, just needed a rocker shaft.

"Automotive Programs by Bowling"  is on the net
<http://devserve.cebaf.gov>  and has programs  for computing speed &
rpms.  As I said, do the math. I doubt you will be happy for long with a
3.90 rear, but 15" 70 or 75 profile tires might make it practical.

Jim