Trans-Dapt info

To: drake@direct.ca (len drake)
Subject: Trans-Dapt info
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 20:53:20 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
At 12:04 AM 1/7/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Why not just use the trans-dapt bellbousing, its essentially just a copy of
>the GM 4 speed bellhousing and wasn't all that expensive last time I checked.

The reason that I didn't mention Trans-Dapt is because they are unavailable.
Period.  Finis.  Trans-Dapt was sold and are now TD and are no longer
manufacturing part #0527.  I did find out that Dan Lagrou is hoping to cast
up 10 or so but these do not fit a B with out a little tunnel work and is a
ways down the road to completion.

I did locate a few housings to fit a 40-54 Chev gearbox but conversion to a
late pattern is needed and after spending $175 you shouldn't have to re-machine.

The best plan is the early T-85 bellhousing with an adapter plate to the
Ford T-5 box.  Easy to get tranny and cheap.

All of this talk of welding, cutting and sawing has accomplished 2 things.
Larry got motivated to avoid some work and shake a housing out of the
bushes.  And I am tooling up an adapter for a common modern housing.

A friend converts Datsun 5spds to fit MG TD's and TF's by welding an adapter
ring on the front of the trans and re-machining.  Looks good, works better.
As far as I can figure GM made 750,000 215's and 100 were manual shift.  So
the time for ingenuity is here.

Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8