Re: How to mate spedo with T5 trans

To: therays@ellijay.com
Subject: Re: How to mate spedo with T5 trans
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 09:47:58 -0500
Cc: V8 list <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Jim

When you indicated you were using an early Jag speedo, I assumed you
meant "EARLY" as in E Type or previous, which have faces without as many
indicator lights as the XJ6.

I don't know which Jag speedo you are using. The one I used was from a
late 70's car, and there was no reverse rotation problem. As you say, it
is an exact fit for a B 77-up dash. I still have the setup, as I
replaced it with an electric programmable unit from VDO. The VDO cost
less than having a cable & angle drive adapter made.  Number on the face
of the Jag unit is sn6173-02  1000. The dial is 0-140 with subscript
0-220 km/h. It is a SMITHS guage, with 2 rectangular indicator lights in
the lower portion. They are barely noticible as they are black untill
lit unlike some other Jag pieces that have "jeweled" lites. The
indicators present are 1- turn signal, 2- unknown, but orange when lit.
I used this to tell me that the electric fans were operating.

Hope this helps.  If you can find one, the unit from a MGC also will
work, & is 0-140.