To be continued...

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: To be continued...
From: Scott Pontius <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:55:52 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Greetings V8 list. I wanted to give you all a quick update on the status
of my project car ('78 B with a Rover 3.5 SD1 V8).
As you may recall, I have been working under a deadline to get this
beast running before I have to leave the country for a one year tour in
Japan (military thing).  I had taken thirty days of leave during the
transition and was working hard to get the car done.  On Jan 29 the
movers came to pack up all of my stuff, and my computer was off on its
way to Japan.  Then on the first of Feb, I had to move out of my
apartment, but I was able to convince the landlord to let me keep the
garage for a few more days.
With some help from a couple of friends, all of the final connections
were made and on 2 Feb, I turned the key.  The engine started but was
running rough, and I shut it down after about 15 seconds.  The primary
header pipes from cyls #2 & #8 were actually still cool! While I was
scratching my head over that, rechecking the plug wires, the firing
order, ignition wiring etc, the pink/white resistor wire to the coil
sprung a leak, and all of the smoke leaked out of that circuit.
At that point I finally had to admit that I was just out of time, and
start packing up the contents of the garage to go into storage.
My brother was kind enough to offer to store the MG in his garage for
the year I am gone, so I rented a tow dolly and towed it to Ogden Utah
(driveshaft DISCONNECTED- Rover tranny :-)  ) and it now sits patiently
waiting for my return.
I am emailing from my brother's computer, as mine is on the way to
Japan, and so will I be tomorrow morning.  I don't know if I will have
access to the Internet or e-mail on a personal account in Japan, so I
may be off the list for a year.  I want to thank all of you for
assistance and entertainment provided, and I look forward to jumping
right back in where I left off next year.
Safety Fast(er)!

Scott Pontius
'78 MGB V8
Living out of a seabag, in transit-again