RE: Fuel Pump

To: "'Jim Stuart'" <jimbb88@erols.com>, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:50:42 -0700
Cc: MGS Digest <mgs@autox.team.net>, V8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim,
Are you sure the SU pumps you installed were fully "solid state"?  If one
stretches the point, you could call an SU pump with a diode instead of a
capacitor "solid state".  That is what I have been buying the last several
years.  These still use points, but the diode acts as a current limiter and
the points last longer than the old capacitor equipped ones.

It would be interesting to know if these pumps were Hall-effect types or the
diode-equipped points type.

Paul Hunt has a good "point" (pun intended) - a points type pump can be
repaired by the side of the road, whereas a Hall-effect type cannot. This is
the same rationale behind carrying an old set of ignition points and
condenser with you even if you have gone to electronic ignition.

The ultimate in fuel pump ingenuity is to plumb in a second pump in-line
with the stock pump (after making sure that the one-way valves do not offer
too much backpressure).  Then when the stock pump begins to fail and the
engine coughs and sputters, you can flip a switch marked "fuel booster pump"
on the dash and you are on your way without having to stop!  To get the full
effect, the dash switch should be one of those big old Aerospace surplus
toggles with the red guard over the top - it needs to look like it came out
of an old Douglas DC-6.
Cheers,
PK