Chrome bumper conversion

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chrome bumper conversion
From: "frank" <F.vanDalen@lr.tudelft.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:05:01 +0200
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I've just subscribed to this list since I have started cutting up my '68 US
spec MGB to make room
for a Rover 3500 with the SDI 5-speed gearbox. I would appreciate your ideas
on the following:

- I certainly wish to retain the original '68 dash, which I believe does not
match with a rubber
  bumper steering column
- I would like to use my current steering rack, since the steering on my car
is unusually light &
  precise and the rack is almost new
- I need to drop the cross-member by an inch or so to make room for the
engine.

The solution I'm thinking of is: use a rubber bumper cross-member and cut
off the brackets for the
steering rack. Mount the cross-member under the car, and weld the chrome
bumper rack (with
its brackets) in position on the cross-member. The idea here is that the
brackets on the later
cross-members locate the rack further forward, meaning that the chrome
bumber column would
be too short.

Alternatively, I guess you might drop the original cross-member using spacer
blocks but then
you'd still need to adjust the brackets to make the column line up again.
Has anyone tried either
way? What do you recommend? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Frank van Dalen

'68 MGB
'87 Citroen AX 14