Help! - Lifter ... - Update

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>, MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! - Lifter ... - Update
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 19:19:27 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi,

I was able to finally get the car started!  I pulled the oil pump,
packed it with vaseline and reinstalled it.  I then changed the oil and
filled the filter and reinstalled.  I pulled the plugs and squirted oil
in the cylinders and squirted oil down the driver's side push rods to
(hopefully) fill the lifters.  I then cranked the engine until the oil
pressure light went out.  By that time most of the valves on the
driver's side seemed to be operating well (I didn't remove the other
valve cover).  I then reinstalled all the plugs and reset the static
timing to 5 degrees (after I discovered that I hadn't tightened the
distributor properly after the first time I had done it).  I poured a
little gas in the carburetor and it fired right up!  I then dropped a
hose, from the fuel pump, down in to my gas can and ran it a few
minutes.  It ran a little rough, but it ran!  However, reusing the oil
pump gasket didn't work (I didn't think that it would) so I shot oil all
over the place.

Kevin