Re: Gasket set, rear ends, starters

To: Al Dufault <adufault@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Gasket set, rear ends, starters
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:32:54 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
To help answer several questions-

Glenn Towery has made a number of 8" Ford/MGB rear axles cut to length, using
the Ford center, MGB axle tubes, & purpose made axles from Mosler, I believe.
More expensive than just narrowing a Ford rear, this maintains the factory
brakes, including the emergency or parking brake, in its entirety. I have a
unit from Glenn, have over 100,000 miles on it without problems.

The MG Guys, Jack Emery, make a very nice narrowed 8" Ford rear, complete
with Ford brakes & hardware, along with the bits & pieces to make the parking
brake function. A little cheaper, a little more work to fit. For heavy
competition use, I would make the decision based upon axle strength, which is
an unknown to me. I have purchased a rear from the MG Guys for the car in
progress & it looks great, but I have not installed it yet.

Many other choices, Mopar 7 3/4, 8.8 Ford, 10 bolt GM, Monza, etc. An MGC
rear with a 3.07 or 3.330 would be a bolt in with no mods, if you can find
one.

Front covers- I like a GM front cover with GM oil pump, metric V-6, so I can
use a Delco distributor, or choice of aftermarket dizzys. Cheaper, more
selection than the Rover, especially at tune up time. Price caps, rotors,
etc. to see what I mean.

Starters- The Buick starter will fit as will the Chevy Vega with the modified
nose, but you will have to sleeve the opening in the Rover motor.  Several
gear reduction starters out there that will work. Dan @ D & D always solved
my starter problems, suggest you contact him. His is the best gear reduction
starter I have seen, & comes with the CORRECT shims. One of my shop partners
is driving me crazy with a unit incorrectly shimmed. The start up noise is
worse than fingernails & blackboards, & I expect it to cost him a ring gear
soon.

Rear ends & starters have been covered in great depth in the back issues of
the V8 Newsletter.

Jim Stuart