Re: MGB Crossmember

To: Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Crossmember
From: James Nazarian <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:34:12 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
FWIW, my Buick with 4sp T10 fit without mod.  I used the front set of holes, on
the frame and the stock tranny mount from the T10.  On the crossmember there is
a bolt in base with angled wings that hook to the B tranny, I took this apart
in the middle so I had a flat surface to bolt to.  I also cut off the stuff
welded to the crossmember (I don't remember what that looked like anymore)  I
then used one bolt to go through the hole left from dissasembling the B mount
into the T10 mount.  I have done this twice, once with RBB mounts/adapters made
to the spec in How to give your MGB V8 power, and once with factory Buick
rubbers and custom mounts on the frame.  I think that if you locate the engine
by conventional methods from V8 power book, or by getting the engine as low as
possible by locating it with the oilpan in relation to front susp crossmember
you should end up in the right place.

If you do need to make new holes, there is a thick plate in there that is
threaded for the x-member bolts with a little luck and frustration, you should
have no problem moving it to align with your new holes.  It resembles the
anchor behind the door strikers, in that it is not secured to the frame so you
just slide it to where it needs to be.  It has two sets of holes in it, one for
each hole in the frame rails, good luck.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 05:38:48PM -0800, Bruce profoundly declared:

--
James Nazarian
71 MGB roadster

"Given a conflict, Murphy's law supercedes Newton's."
-Anon

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation
of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis."
-Carroll Smith