Re: Need help with Ford 8" disassembly

To: clarkew@NiagaraMohawk.com, MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need help with Ford 8" disassembly
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@solve.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:55:19 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
clarkew@NiagaraMohawk.com wrote:

> Larry,
> Since I can not seem to write to the list, I'll send this to you directly.
> The Ford 8" does not have a rear cover plate.  You may be thinking of the
> MGB or a Chevy.  Fords are handled differently.
>
> Wayne Clarke
> BGT V8

Well, Wayne, this brings up something of a dilemna!  The rear end that I got
out of an '85 Ford Mustang has a rear cover.  I know that there are many Ford
differentials  but the junk man told me that this was an "8.8" differential,
commonly referred to as an 8".  The 9", of course, is much larger and sturdier.

Maybe there are both an 8" AND an 8.8"!  If that's the case, I guess that I was
mistaken for which I apologize.  Mine has a rear cover, whatever it is.

Larry Dickstein