Re: Traling arm

To: MGB-V8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traling arm
From: "Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu" <Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:04:43 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>Hi All
>I have a traling arm set up on the back of my B, with coil over shock. At
>the moment there is nothing to stop side ways movment of the axle. What do
>you think would be the best way to go with this.
>Thanks Simon

Simon,

if you were looking downward at the suspension assembly (like a
bird's eye view) are all 4 bars parallel? If not, you shouldn't be
getting any sideways movement. If they are parallel, you can make the
upper bars angle from the inside to the outside. That is, of course,
if your car isn't equipped with one of the typical 4-bar hot rod kits
that are out there which have 4 parallel links and you have no way of
moving them.

You can always put on a panhard rod or a watts linkage. My feeling is
though that the simpler you can make it while still serving the same
purpose, the better. ie: having lateral location built into the
trailing arm geometry.

Keep in mind, I'm not a suspension engineer, or any kind of engineer
at all. I have studied a lot of suspension design over the years and
talked to people too. sometimes what works on paper doesn't always
work when it gets to metal.

btw, do you have pics of your car's suspension? I'd like to see them if you do.

cya!

Joe Pitassi