Re: Traling arm

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traling arm
From: clarkew@NiagaraMohawk.com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:10:44 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Its good to see that others are trying the four-link setup.  Well, if you
are wondering how to stop side travel, it's a good bet your design is in
need of a Panhard rod.  God bless you if you want to try a Watts-link in
that limited space.  I am using a four-link coil-over setup on my BGT.  The
rear is a Ford 8" diff. (not 8.8") and it is very tight between the gas
tank and the rear pumpkin.  I used a shorter Panhard rod, approx. 24" and
attached it to the differential at the far side of the centerpiece just
above the axle.  If you have a lot of travel in your suspension, greater
than 5" then you will want to consider a longer Panhard rod that goes all
the way to the other side of the axle to minimize side-to-side run out.
You can determine run-out by mathematics or just use a pencil attached to a
string that is the same length as your Panhard rod.  Draw an arc the length
of your vertical spring travel.. etc.  Close enough.

For anyone even with leaf springs considering wider tires where there is
very little clearance on their non-flared fender, I highly recommend a
Panhard rod. I am using 215x60x14 tires in the rear with approximately a
quarter of an inch clearance between the tire and inner and outer fender
wells.  The Panhard rod does its job well.

Wayne Clarke
BGT 4.2
Syracuse, NY.