RE: aluminum flywheel information

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: aluminum flywheel information
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:17:43 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig-

The simple explanation is that the heavier the flywheel, the smoother the
engine will run, including acceleration. The heavy flywheel rotating
smoothes out minor fluctuations in engine speed, due to the greater inertia
from the greater mass. The lighter flywheel gives faster acceleration as the
rotating mass is smaller in weight & there is less inertia to overcome. Drag
race engines use the lightest possible components, i.e. aluminum rods &
pistons, that would not be suitable for normal street driving.

Your task is to find the compromise that gives you the acceleration you want
without giving you erratic rpms, which translates into a rough running
engine.  I suggest you contact some of the Ford performance parts sellers
for their recommendations if you do not get the response you want from the
list.

Dan Masters, where are you?

Jim Stuart