Electrical Problem - More Info

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Problem - More Info
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:00:47 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Thanks to all those who've replied.  I'll try and
answer most everyone's questions in one email.

1.  It is definitely electrical.  It is not fuel,
carb, head gasket, compression, etc. etc. etc.

2. Your right, it is actually spelt Pertronix.

3. I've put in points, and it will run, although very
very rough.  The only points I have are in pretty bad
/ burnt shape.  They don't like 12 volts much, and I
don't want to reinstall a ballast resistor just to
check.

4.  I found someone at Pertronix tonight who knew what
they were talking about.  A previous call, left me
with someone who could only quote the manual.
Hmm....I can read too, so he wasn't much help.

It turns out that a Pertronix unit must be run with a
coil of at least 1.5 ohms.  My MSD Blaster coil was
running at 1.0 ohms cold, and the guy on the phone
seemed to believe it would go down slighly when hot.
With continued use with a 1.0 ohm coil, it will heat
up and melt something internally.  I also saw signs of
the unit getting very hot, the sticker on the unit
looked like it gotten very warm.

When grilled, the Pertronix tech guy actually admitted
the Ignitor "should" work down to about 6.75V.  So I
don't believe low voltage to be the problem.

So I've got to replace the unit.  They will give me
another as a warrantee replacement, it will take a
couple of weeks before it gets back to me.

5.  The replacement unit I ordered turned out to be a
1181 LSCC.  Our engines actually use a 1181 LSC.  This
is the new Lobe Sensing device, it doesn't use the
magnetic ring, it somehow senses distributor lobes.
The difference between the two is in the direction of
rotation (CC - counterclockwise).  A CC model will not
even bolt into our distributors.  Something for
everyone to keep in mind in the future.

My replacement will be here on Monday, so I should
still make the big trip to Maine next weekend.  I'll
end up with two units, I'll probably pick up a rebuilt
distributor at Advanced Autoparts for 50 bucks, just
so I can have a whole distributor in the trunk for a
spare to drop in anytime.

I'm still looking for a few people to go out and
actually measure their voltage on the + side of the
coil while cranking.  I'm curious to see what everyone
is getting.

Thanks again,

Glenn
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/