Another electrical question

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Another electrical question
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
What is everyone out there getting for voltages on the
+ side of the coil.  I'm getting 12V with the key "on"
but down to about 9 V with the car cranking.  It is
cranking at a pretty good / usual speed.  I'm running
a stock Buick starter (rebuilt), MSD Coil (although
I've also put in another coil, and get the same
voltage).  Remember, the car was running just fine
until it died on Tuesday.  I've tried running a jumper
wire from the battery straight to the plus side of the
coil, but still only got about 9.5V while cranking.

I'm wondering if this might be what is causing the
Pertronix EI not to function.

Bad battery?

Many thanks to those who offered suggestions after my
first question.  I've postponed my big trip with the
MG until the 2nd half of the Holiday, so I have until
Tuesday to fix this thing.  Unfortunately, the new
Pertronix I ordered, arrived today, but it is not the
right model for a 215 distributor.

Thanks again,

Glenn
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/