Re: Intermittent Coil Problem ?

To: "Rick Huber" <rickhuber1@home.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intermittent Coil Problem ?
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:50:24 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The factory ballast that drops the 12v to 6v (nominal) on rubber-bumper cars
is a length of resistance wire contained within the loom which is why you
can't find a specific component.  It has a white (early cars) or white/brown
(later cars) at the fuse-box end and a white/light-green at the coil end.
The factory systems, whether points or any of the various electronic-trigger
systems, always had the white/light-green extended to a spade on the
solenoid which provides a full 12v to the coil during cranking.  No idea
whether the Mallory needs this or whether providing it would harm it, but
without it you are only going to get about 4v at the coil during cranking.

You *can* get an intermittent coil, but it *usually* manifests itself when
the coil is hot i.e. after it has been running for a while.  It is quite
possible that as the ignition components deteriorate over time they reach
the point at which the spark energy drops below that which is required to
start the car under some circumstances.  My own factory V8 has a tendency to
quite suddenly become hard to cold-start, then run poorly until properly
warm.  Replacing the plugs always cures it completely for several thousand
miles.

PaulH.