FW: Intermittent Coil Problem ?

To: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Intermittent Coil Problem ?
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:58:04 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Guess I oughta put in my two cents here.

My first drive with my V8 was from Denver to Cleveland, last fall.  I
had the wrong coil for the non ballasted points ignition.  Frankly it
was amazing that it made the 1500 miles.  Well at the meet all my
buddies helped diagnose my problem.  I could swap the coil, or I could
add a ballast resistor.  I opted for a new coil and bought the Pertronix
from Dan L at the meet.

Today I just noted that since the meet I've driven the car a little over
9000 miles.  I've not done anything to the ignition since then.  No
points (obviously) no timing adjustments, no new plugs, nuttin.

Just drive it.

So I gotta say, a plain old NAPA coil, no ballast resistor, and a
Pertronix in a stock dizzy works well for me.

Larry Hoy