Opinion on an MGB...

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Opinion on an MGB...
From: "Chaz S" <chazlegrand@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:50:35 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well, I think I might have found the right MGB for me, but I'll ask the
opinion of the list first.  It's a 78 MGB with 82k miles.  The engine appears
to be in rather good condition (haven't taken it to a mechanic yet), new
clutch, new ignition, new top.

The wheel wells have a bit of rust, the trans grinds a little if you don't
double clutch into fourth, there is a little bit of bondo near on the door
near the side view mirror on the passanger side (a cracking problem that I
understand to be somewhat common), and the leather is in rather bad shape.

Since I plan to replace the engine and trans anyway, I'm not too worried about
the grinding though a) it gives me a point to negotiate on and b) I still want
to be able to drive it around a little bit before I get the conversion parts.
The rust worries me, but I've found it really hard to find one of these cars
without any rust.  He's asking $2,450.

What would you guys consider an appropriate offer for this car?  Any other
comments?  Thanks.

Chaz S.