RE: Diesel in MGB

To: "'Wolf the Greek God'" <wolfrr@yahoo.com>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Diesel in MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:03:55 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Wolf:

        I'm glad that you did catch on that I was jesting.  I guess the
thread is somewhat pertinent to the list, as it is an alternative swap.

        There was a 78 MGB for sale on E-Bay a while ago that had a BMC B
series diesel installed.  I was actually very interested, as I my daily
driver was a diesel truck.  The main problem was that the BMC diesel wasn't
a real great design compared to newer turbo diesels available from a number
of sources.

        I think it was Popular Mechanics who back in the 70s had plans for a
diesel powered runabout based on a Triumph Spitfire frame.

        Diesel conversions are popular in UK Landrovers for power and fuel
economy.  I think the preferred unit was a Nissan turbo diesel.

        I've got a feeling that you would have no end of grief though.  I've
had a number of comments from folks who think the noisy diesel in my pickup
ruins the vehicle.  The torque and fuel economy in the pickup makes sense,
since I do a lot of towing, but somehow I can't quite see fitting an MGB
with a fifth wheel hitch.

Kelvin