Cracked header survey

To: "MGB-V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cracked header survey
From: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:14:26 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,
This has been a long running debate, but what is the latest consensus on
which of the block hugger style headers last the longest?  Stainless or mild
steel?  What manufacturer?
Mine are both cracked at the welds between the center tubes at 11k miles,
mild steel, Jet Hot coated, manufacturer unknown.  Jet Hot was an attempt to
control heat, may or may not have contributed to early cracks... I need to
replace them with something that will last longer than 10k miles...

Who on the list has the oldest surviving set of headers?  High mileage
guys...?

How about the suppliers, Ted, Glenn?  How are yours holding up, what do you
recommend, Prices? (off-list if you want...)
I still don't want to cut holes for the RV8 style..

Thanks.

Scott Pontius
'78 MGB 3.5l V8  SD1 EFI
'82 Lotus Eclat S2 Riviera (one project too many...)
'90 Ford Taurus POS pit crew vehicle
San Diego