Re: Cracked header survey

To: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>, "MGB-V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked header survey
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:19:43 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Certainly the ones that came on my factory V8 cracked and re-cracked a
couple of times over 50-odd k that I had them.  I gave up welding them and
bought new mild-steel from Clive Wheatley (UK) and so far (10k+) I'm not
aware of any cracks.  They came with green composition gaskets though, which
started failing after a few k so I fitted thin steel gaskets that come in
pairs.  One problem the new manifolds have the same as the old ones is
warpage in use - they fit fine the first time but if you have to remove them
you can't get them back on without opening up the holes.

PaulH.