Re: Points Gap

To: <SteveMines@verdugohillshospital.org>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Points Gap
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:05:09 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Points gap sets the dwell, and unless you are into altering cam profile the
only way of altering dwell is to adjust the gap.  Dwell is a very useful way
of checking whether the gap needs adjusting, it saves having to take off the
cap and risk transferring oil from feeler gauge to points.  However once
they *do* need adjusting it is a damn sight easier doing it with a pair of
feelers 1 thou up and 1 thou down and only finally checking the dwell, than
to adjust - refit cap - run engine - test dwell - switch off - remove cap -
adjust etc. etc. etc.   That is, unless you have the 35D8 distributor that
has the external hex bar enabling you to adjust the points with the engine
running.