Re: Wheel sizes

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel sizes
From: "James Jewell" <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:13:53 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Simon,
   While I haven't added new wheels yet, I know that
many of the "american" wheels of the hot-rod genre have
a wild variety of back-spacings available, as the
center-portion is often welded or bolted to the rim,
and therefore can be adjusted ad-infinitum.  Also, the
more expensive 3-piece wheels (for racing) have the
same level of flexibility, since the inner and outer
"halves" can be combined to form the width and
backspacing of your dreams.
   The down-side is that many of these "mag wheels" are
of a 5-bolt variety, and don't have that "one-piece,
forged from a huge freakin' billet of unobtanium"
modern look that some people prefer, and the really
"classy" looking ones tend to be $$$$$$$.  On the other
hand, if you convert to a 5-bolt hub, there are some
really nice looking ones in the Jegs and Summit
catalogues that would (IMHO) look much more appropriate
on an MG (especially a Sebring model) than something
that was designed for a a '99 VW Golf or a Honda with a
muffler big enough that it could launch mortar shells.
And besides, the roadster doesn't even have a rear
window on which to put the  "No Fear" sticker that
appears to be standard issue with those cars and wheels.
   Check out the Pana-Sport and Mini-lite web pages.
They make models with a large variety of backspacings.
   Good luck, and let me know how the Sebring panels
work out.  I eventualy want to do that, too.
James J.
On Tue, 03 September 2002, "Simon Austin" wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I need some help from anyone who's added aftermarket
> wheels to their cars. I
> want to try to avoid using spacers or adapters but
> apparently that's a
> problem sometimes for the MGB.
>
> I plan on using 215/60-15's on the project (I am
> installing the Sebring body
> flares so width shouldn't be a problem) and am having
> problem getting
> wheels with the correct offset.  A lot of wheels
> nowadays are made with the
> hub close to the outside of the wheel which isn't what
> I need.  I'd prefer a
> &quot;deeper&quot; dish wheel with the back-space the
same as
> original Rostyles (about
> 4 inches) but shops have said that may not be
possible.