Re: It's Alive------ Ok, sort of......

To: "James Jewell" <m1garand@directvinternet.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It's Alive------ Ok, sort of......
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:33:02 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
If the warning lifght came on *before* turning on the ignition then the
alternator diodes are probably short-circuit.  It will be for this reason
that the alt got warm during cranking.  A good alt is not doing anything
until the engine is running at about 1000 rpm or more.

The brown circuits should be live as soon as the battery was connected, they
do not go through any fuses (with the exception of the feed to the hazard
flasher).  The purple and green circuits *are* fed through fuses, the purple
should be hot all the time the brown is, and the green when the ignition is
on.  The red circuits should only be hot when the lights are on.

Why was the fusebox buzzing?  Probably a combination of factors, not least
some bad connections in there.  Check the rivetted connections on the back
too.