It's Alive------ Ok, sort of......

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: It's Alive------ Ok, sort of......
From: "James Jewell" <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well all,
   I spent another 4 days at my folks up in NY getting
the '77B into proper 4-banger configuration so that I
can drive it down here (DC) to give it the V-8 heart
transplant is so badly needs.  The body/interior/paint
restoration is now complete, and I put in all the
appropriate fluids.  Once I got it off blocks, and on
to wheels and tyres, I had toget used to it being so
low to the ground ;-).  Upon hooking up the battery,
the Ignition lite came on, even before I put the key in
(uh-oh).
    Once I put the key in, and turned it, various
systems came to life.  It was kind of funny to note
that additional systems came to life with each time I'd
turn over the key, even though nothing else had
changed, as if the electrons had 12 years of crud to
move through to get to there destination.  With
oxidation of contacts, perhaps they did?
   Anyhow, I was turning the motor over for 10 second
intervals (no plugs) to get the oil pressure back up
before I actualy started it with gas and plugs.  During
this experiment a few other things happened.  The
"brake" lite came on, even though brakes had been bled.
 It also stayed on when the key was out.  All the
Green, Brown, and purple circuits seemed to work once I
put in new fuses and cleaned the terminals in the fuse
box.  However the Red circuits seem to not cooperate.
I also noticed that the fuse box was buzzing, kind of
like an AC transformer at 60Hz.  I checked the
alternator, and disconnected the relays, and the buzz
was definitely coming from the fuse box.

So all of this leads me to a few questions for your
general expertiese:
1)How could a 12V DC fuse box buzz?  I could understand
an AC circuit (I build Vacuum Tube audio amps, and the
transformers on those buzz like a bee at 60 Hz) but not
a DC one.
2)The alternator was getting warm from the cranking
efforts.  Not hot, but warm.  Is this normal from
trying to start a car about a dozen times?
3)I know that points can be destroyed by leaving a car
in the run position without the engine running, but
does anyone know if a Pertronix Ingnitor is as
succeptible?  How long can I safely leave the car in
the 'run' position: 10 seconds?, 20? 30?
4)I either have a defective key/ignition switch, or a
sneak path somewhere, for the break and ignition lites
to remain on while they key is out of the ignition.
Any helpful troubleshooting tips?
5)  If a train leaves Chicago, traveling at 60 mph,
while another leaves LA, at 45 mph, ......  OK, scratch
that one....

Thanks All.
One Step closer to a V-8....
James J.