Coolant expansion tank

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coolant expansion tank
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:58:46 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Gents, if anyone is in need for a surge tank for radiator lower than the
engine situations, I have located a neat solution.  I will include the link
from the ebay auction and a short list of questions and the answers that I got
from the owner.  I just rec'd it in the mail and it looks like it will be
perfect for my needs.

http://tinyurl.com/5f2b

This is from an '87 325is E30 BMW

1. is the cap a pressure cap?
2. what pressure does it vent at?
either 1.2 or 1.4 bar
3. is the small fitting by the cap the overflow when it vents?
one is, but there is another one that is at system pressure
4. what size hose goes on the fitting on the bottom?
1"
5. approximately how big is the tank dimensionally?
10" long, 5" deep, 5" wide
6. does the level sender still work?
there is a coolant level sensor built in

I think that this works out to be about 1.5L capacity.  I plan to tee it into
the inlet to the waterpump / heater core line.

Hope this helps somebody.  I started out with a bleed valve in the top of my
system for purging it and then a recirculating bottle from my low mounted rad
cap, but I was constantly chasing air around in the system and it was giving
me fits with overheating.

I have a Volvo 240 tank of about the same dimensions / features, but it does
not have a venting cap in it, so you have to be venting somewhere else to use
it.
http://tinyurl.com/5f2u

I think it would work in my first setup because of the larger capacity, I was
using a 1qt bottle and I had only a few ounce margin to function in, I had to
leave about 4 ounces in the bottle so that it would not suck air on cooloff
but it would fill the bottle at operating pressure.  I'm sure you can imagine
why a 4 ounce margin of operation in a 12qt cooling system would be
problematic.

James Nazarian
71 B tourer
71 BGT V8