Fuel economy and slipping clutch

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel economy and slipping clutch
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:48:29 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Ok, so maybe I don't have a slipping clutch.  It seems to have cured itself.
When I first moved the car the disk was stuck to the flywheel, it would seem
that that bit of surface rust and maybe a bit of something else were causing
the problem.  The problem seems to be gone now.

I agree with the listers that suggested the centrifugal weights cause higher
clutch pressure at speed, as many of us have read and experienced.

I do still have some drivability issues above 3500RPM but that is acting
like metering springs being too soft.  I haven't had a chance to go chasing
after it but since I have the spring kit already it isn't a problem.  I had
a pretty good tune going with my old motor at 6000ft but now that I am at
1000ft with a less potent motor I have not finished working the bugs out of
the carb tune.

what kind of mileage are folks getting out of their 215s?  I'm seeing just
shy of 20 right now but I know I am still too rich.  I seem to recall I was
seeing 28 in Colorado, but I only had 1100 miles to establish that.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8
85 Dodge Ram