RE: Another Epoxy Idea

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <sgreen@eurobell.net>
Subject: RE: Another Epoxy Idea
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:19:17 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Thanks Simon!!  As usual, you've been very generous with your time and
advice.  Any advice on a MGB 4-bar suspension will be greatly appreciated.
My main welding concern, even with the heat control putty, is setting the
asphalt on fire right above the spot weld.  I remember this happening when I
was first restoring the body some 14 years ago.

I've been doing more research on "structural" bonding since this discussion
started a few weeks back.  Flexor seems to be rated at 2700 psi, cohesive
failure.  This means that the "glue" itself fails at 2700 psi.  Common
steels are over 100K psi, if my memory serves me right.  They didn't say if
the bond to the metal (ie. the adhesive bond) was as strong.  Either way,
2700psi is great, but just a mere fraction of steel.  Their literature (Lord
Co.) and a few others all mention that it should be used only for bonding
secondary" structures" such as door skins, rear quarters and roof skins.
However, the agency that establishes "approved and standardized" work
procedures here in the US for auto mechanics (I can't think the name right
now) is doing testing to see if it has more applications.  They actually did
mention the Lotus Elise as a neat proof-of-concept car for both bonding and
it's extensive use of structural aluminum.  Cadillac has an approved
procedure for mixing epoxy and spot welding along the same flange.  Pretty
cool, actualy.
James J.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]