Re: bw65 / gm180

To: Jim Stuart <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: bw65 / gm180
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:59:23 -0400
Cc: "'Mike'" <mikeys@xtra.co.nz>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
You might want to call Dan at D&D. He makes an adapter plate for the GM TH700R4 (4spd w/overdrive), so I suspect that he has ideas about making one fit in an MG. Dan's number is (810) 798-2491. These trannys are CHEAP and Strong. I picked one up for $50, and plan on using it in a GT that is going to see alot of rush-hour traffic. I haven't tried a fit-check, though. I had 50 bucks on me, and a fellow was selling, and figured I could always sell it again if fitting is too much trouble. Then agin, you are in New Zealand, so you may want to try something on your domestic market.

James J.
USA

Jim Stuart wrote:

From my own experiments, I can tell you the BW will not fit without major
alterations to the tunnel area & lower footwells. I am not familiar with the
GM tranny, but would expect the same based on the size of other GM autos.

Simplest swap would be to use a stick shift, either a GM T-5 (my choice) or
a Rover 5-speed.

Jim Stuart