Re: finishing questions

To: "Mclean, John R" <JohnRMclean@eaton.com>
Subject: Re: finishing questions
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 16:59:10 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, CraigFaubel@aol.com
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
John,
My personal advise is that you always scuff-sand any existing finish before putting on a top-coat. It just can't hurt, and it can make all the difference in the world when it comes to that top-coat adhering. If you use a high-build primer, it will fill in any sanding scratches. Now onto your other question: It depends on how flexible the fascia is. If it is rigid, like fiberglass, then regular painting components can be used. If it has any flex to it, you'll need to add flex-compound to the paint/primer to keep it from cracking. You may also need to use an adhesion promoter for the very first coat if any of the fascia's base material is exposed.
Best of Luck!
James J.

Mclean, John R wrote:

Good site!

Are there any paint experts out there? This is a little off vehicle but project ride # 2 is a Honda S 2000. I have a replacement plastic fascia but it is a different color. What would be the process to paint it another color? Would I have to sand and reprime it before I painted it?  For that matter would I have to sand and reprime the body paint before I repaint it even if I keep the same color or not?  Those dudes on the Honda site are not like us MG guys. First of all the guy/kid I bought the bumpers from never hear of an MG! Anyway their answer to the question is pay someone else to do it. Big on having someone else tech their cars out but slow on wrenching themselves.

Thanks guys.