heat-treat castings

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, Rover V8 list <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: heat-treat castings
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:07:34 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Seems to me that a long time ago there was some discussion on this list about wether or not aluminum castings were heat-treated (I think someone was welding a bell-houseing or something). I don't recall the specifics of the original thread, but I came across a few articles in the last month that referred to pistons (cast) and engine blocks and heads being heat-treated to T-6 specs. I doubt that all castings receive that treatment, but in the most general sense: it is possible to heat-treat aluminum castings, and probably something to consider when welding.
I asked my machinist about this when he was TIGing up some of the more hideous pits on my Buick 300 heads. In my case he said that the heat was applied in such a small and controlled fashion that it didn't warrant re-heat-treating, but that major repairs might. Lets hope I never need major repairs.
James Jewell

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.