Re: detonation / preignaition

To: longez8@bellsouth.net, 215v8@yahoogroups.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: detonation / preignaition
From: GrayTesla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:45:46 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I guess I'm at a bit of a loss concerning the discussion of detonation and
pre-ignition. The two engines with which I have experience are the Buick and
Oldsmobile versions of the 215 V8 and neither has been sensitive to the above
conditions. The Buick version was build with only 8.5 to 1 compression so I
wouldn't expect much problem. The Oldsmobile version, using 41cc (small)
combustion
chamber heads -- along with Arias Arias Pistons, give about 13.5 to 1 and
detonation/pre-ignition wasn't a problem. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING that the Olds
head is more forgiving in this regard but that it doesn't flow quite as well as
the Buick head.

The highest octane available in my area (higher altitude of 4,000 feet) is 91
on the R+M/2 scale. Initial timing was set at 10 degrees initial and only
needed to be pulled back to 4 or 5 degrees initial when at sea level -- even
with
coastal octane of 92/93 octane.

Are others having problem with detonation? I never have.

Darius