Re: trans. switches

To: "." <packrat3@visi.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trans. switches
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:26:25 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>From the back looking forward the OD should be on the left (yellow/red and
yellow/purple wires), but check with a test-lamp to be sure as they moved
about during the years.  The other same-sized switch is for the reverse
lights (green and green/brown wires).  There was a third, smaller, switch in
late 72 for cars with the sequential seat-belt system which closed in *any*
gear, this had green and yellow/orange wires.

The wire from the solenoid unit goes to one side of the OD switch (either
side) and the yellow in the gearbox loom goes to the other contact on that
switch.  As a double-double check find where the yellow/red from the gearbox
loom joins the yellow in the main loom by the fusebox.  Part this connector
and insert a test-lamp between the two.  The only time the light should glow
is with the ignition on *and* manual switch on *and* the gearbox in 3rd or
4th.  Make sure it is out at all other times, especially reverse.

As this circuit is unfused I have inserted an in-line fuse between these two
wires, and also between the white in the rear loom and the whites in the
main loom.  Just use standard 17amp rated 35amp blow in each as you (should)
carry two spares in the fusebox in case you need them.

PaulH.