Engine cooling. Was: Block Paint Question

To: match@ece.utah.edu, tr3a@att.net
Subject: Engine cooling. Was: Block Paint Question
From: match@ece.utah.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:35:32 -0600
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Nah. It's basically a non-issue. Just consider all the cars running around with
a half-inch
of oil-soaked dirt caked on the engine. You've seen them. They do just fine.
And on
other cars that I've built I applied several coats of enamal (like 9) sanding
between, to
all engine castings in order fill the surface and make it flat and smooth.
These cars did
just fine. No temperature problems at all.

Granted, the old engine enamal that I used in the old days is not powder coat,
but I can't
imagine that enamal conducts heat away any better.

Thing is, almost all of the residual heat that is not used to propel the car
goes into the
water jacket, then the coolant, then the radiator where it's disposed of, and
it's all
controlled by the thermostat. I'd rather have the heat take that route, where
it can be
controlled, anyway. The heat that radiates from the surfaces of the engine just
is not
enough to worry about. It's not even a blip on the radar, compared to the heat
that the
cooling system moves around.

Instead, spend your time figuring out how to get all that hot air from the
radiator out of
the engine compartment. That's the reason that we have high under-hood
temperatures.

Marvin