RE: Racing Harness

To: <Rick1huber@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Racing Harness
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:24:30 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Rick:

On my race 65 MGB, For each belt set I made up a 5" wide by 3" steel
plate.  This is drilled for two seat belt eye bolts, with the bolt holes
about 1" from the outside edges.  I mounted the plates as low as
possible against the trunk side of the rear bulkhead, then drilled the
bulkhead for the eye bolts.

On the inside of the car, you can see the two ring bolts, with washers
(the washers just keep the rear upholstery panel tidy).

The plates spread the load across the bulkhead sheet metal and into
junction between floor and bulkhead.

Under extreme load, the plate could be pulled through the bulkhead, but
the forces involved would have turned the driver to jelly.

This location is within the recommended degrees of angle to prevent
spinal compression.

Due to the lay down seating position in an MGB, it is a very good idea
to run a submarine belt.  This is easy to mount under the front of the
seat using the typical 2" diameter backing washer.  In the event of a
hard frontal crash, this can reduce leg trauma.  I have a friend who
rear ended a pickup with her MGB.  Her foot and ankle got tangled in the
brake and accelerator pedals and were severely damaged when she slid
under the stock 3 point belts.

Kelvin Dodd

On
> Behalf Of Rick1huber@aol.com
> Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:17 PM
> To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
> Subject: Racing Harness
>
> Hi again list,
>
> Sure is a great place to get information about things.  Hope you guys
> don't
> mind me asking so many questions.
>
> Thinking about putting harnesses in the V8 MGB before the event in
Terre