Re: RE: Racing Harness

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Racing Harness
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:16:16 -0500
Cc: Rick1huber@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Rick,

I'm with Kelvin on this, nice big back-up plates, just be sure the metal back
there is sound.  I've seen and heard some nasty things happen with "vintage
racers" and such that had some tin worm problems.  Not too sure I'd personally
want to do what you're talking about tho, shoulder harnesses without some sort
of roll-over protection, but hey you pays your money and plays your hand.

As far as brands go, I've used all sorts from the lower priced stuff to
Simpson, and have found the quality to be about the same...as long as it is SFI
rated, I've been happy.

Like Kelvin says be sure to mount things at the correct angles.  Incorrect seat
belt mounting can lead to some nasty things (Like a certain roundy round guy
dead and Mr. Simpson leaving his namesake business because certain people
didn't listen to him).  Also remember that comp belts are designed to be worn
_tight_...and even then they stretch (that's how they absorb the energy).  A
rally friend of mine center-punched the proverbial ancient oak tree (score:
Ents 1, MGB-GT 0) at about 80 MPH and even wearing his harnesses tight he still
managed to break his chin guard on the steering wheel.

The eye-bolt arrangement is nice if you 1) want to remove them for street use
or looks, or 2) have to change them out every two years like I do.

It's strange, after so much racing, I feel naked in street belts.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary