Re: Connecting a voltmeter

To: "The Rays" <therays@ellijay.com>, "MG-V8 List"
Subject: Re: Connecting a voltmeter
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:15:44 +0100
A good ground, and ideally a fused and switch 12v supply like any green wire
behind the dash, the one on the voltage stabiliser is probably easiest to
get to.  The fused supply is just in case a short develops on your wiring,
you wouldn't want it to total the harness or possibly the car.  However the
green circuit usually runs at a lower voltage than the alternator is
outputting or the battery is being charged at, especially when you start
switching things on, which is one more thing to get paranoid about.  The
white circuit e.g. at the ignition switch is the next possibility, that
doesn't drop quite so much as the green, but needs its own in-line fuse to
the voltmeter.  If you were really anal, and had a pre-77 car, you could
install a relay to be operated from the ignition, with a fused brown brought
up from the solenoid connected to one contact and the other to the voltmeter
and that will give you much closer to the actual alternator/battery voltage.
But on a 77 and later you already have an ignition relay, so take a fused
white/brown from the front of the 2nd fuse up.  With a standard alternator
it is still going to show a reducing voltage as you switch more things on,
so I won't be surprised if your next post is enquiring about uprated
alternators :o)

PaulH.