Re: [Mgb-v8] Holley vs Edelbrock

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] Holley vs Edelbrock
From: "Larry" <larry@embreyfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:18:40 -0700
Barrie,
Like many things in life you will find people tend to Be either A or B.
Everyone has a preference, they can be based on fact, feeling, familiarity
etc..

I have had both, however the Holley I had was a mechanical 650DP (aka track
ubber hotrod carb), the edelbrock was the classic 625cfm Vacuum secondary
carb they copied from Weber.  The Holley had more brute power and really had
that hot-rod feel and power.  But it did not idle or cruise as well.  The
edelbrock idled smooth as silk, cruised very well, improved mpg by over
2mpg, BUT did not have the punch of the Holley.  The Holley literally made
the engine pop going WOT, BOOM your gone, the Edelbrock came on smoother and
did not have the power at top end.

Holley; widely popular specially in hotrod sectors, in terms of aftermarket
carb mods, Holley probably has more options (main bodies, bowls, etc.)
Requires draining bowls to change jets.
Edelbrock: popular with street rods and cars that see allot of cruising or
more daily usage.  Less aftermarket options, but changing metering rods can
be done in car without draining carb bowls.

If you main tuner/mechanic is a Holley guy, that does have a benefit, always
good to use what your primary wrench uses and likes ;-)

Larry