Re: regarding engine rebuilds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: regarding engine rebuilds
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 23:59:36 +0000
On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Allen Bachelder wrote:

> I haven't heard of the main bearing routine, butI was cautioned - from two
> different sources - not to let the MGB idle drop below 2000 rpm for the
> first 20-25 minutes - in order to break in cam and lifters.  Beyond that, I

My cam instructions said this as well.  We idled it in the lot for 20
minutes at over 2000 RPM.

> checked the MGB owner's manual on break-in instructions.   It said
> something like keep it below 45 mph for the first 500 miles (if  I recall
> correctly).  I interpreted this to mean roughly a 2500 rpm ceiling for
> cruising.

Geez I hope not.  I have definitely been up to highway speed about 40% of
the miles (and have about 170 mi on the engine so far)

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock