Re: regarding engine rebuilds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: regarding engine rebuilds
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 95 11:42:19 EST
Will,

>a member of my local
>car-guy support group has cautioned me not to keep the engine at constant
>RPMs for a long time.  He says its good to vary the RPMs.  Why would this be
>true?  Rings seat better with RPM changes?  Or is he just passing oil?

When I rebuilt my Pontiac 326 in 1980 I was told to run for 20 min's
upon initial startup at a constant RPM to get the cam and lifters to
wear in correctly. Then I was supposed to do low speed (RPM) full
throttle acceleration in high gear to set the main bearings. I do not
know if this is correct or not but I did it and the car gave me great
service. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't Know about seating the rings.

- -Mark     = =o&o