Animals and MGBs

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Subject: Animals and MGBs
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 09:41:54 -0500
>#3) I have heard of the moth ball trick. In the spring how long
>does the smell last after you remove them.

>Maybe if you put elephant whistles on your B that would keep the deer away.

>jurrasm@torrington.com

Mark -

One sunlit top-down day and the moth-ball smell seems pretty well
dissipated for the season.  When the car is fully closed, upon first
getting in, there is perhaps a faint aroma all the time.  Because I grew up
with the penetrating odor of moth-balls in every closet, that familiar
smell arouses yet another form of nostalgia, thus doubling the value of my
LBC.

One evening two summers ago, I fired up my rusty '71 GT and gave it a
vigorous run through my pasture (no insurance on it - no road driving).
Afterword, while checking something under the bonnet, I got stung several
times from some resident wasps who had nested in a rocker panel (MGBees!).
There were plenty of rust holes through which they could - and did - get
inside the car.  Why I didn't get stung while driving it remains a mystery.

One night back in Sept '93 we hit a cow with our '76 B @ about 35 mph.
Suffice it to say, my first view of the cow was through the shattered
windscreen. Though the recessed parking light in the rubber bumper was
broken on impact - the bumper DID NOT MOVE!  Nor was there any structural
damage to the B - new bonnet, new left front wing, new windscreen, new
driver's side door, new trim pieces, and we were back on the road.  My wife
was unhurt - the 17-year-old seat belts worked.  I had only a broken
metacarpal where my left hand got caught between the cow and the steering
wheel (really).  All-in-all, we were pretty lucky.

The state police were impressed - perhaps they exaggerated a bit but they
claimed the car saved our lives.   The farmer's insurance paid.

The cow lived but went to market shortly afterword.  We still have the B.

Sooner or later, just about everybody hits a deer out in these parts.  It
is a source of ongoing concern to me.  I have no idea if the deer whistles
work and I don't rely on them - but for whatever they are worth I have
them.  They fit unobtrusively under the rubber bumper.  The chrome bumpered
cars present a different problem which I haven't solved yet.

Enough from me about animals.

Allen "B"

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034