MGBs on TV commercials

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGBs on TV commercials
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 09:49:39 -0500
Anybody else notice the rubber-bumpered MGB that is the focal point of a TV
commercial for "Transitions Comfort Lenses" on CBS these days.  Of course
I'm delighted, but I also know that a lot of research goes into advertising
and it fascinates me to ponder why an MGB.  Why not a Miata, or instead,
something exotic?  What image does an MGB conjure for Mr & Mrs Average
American TV Viewer that sells sunglasses?

Any ideas out there?

Allen "B"