Midget front wheel bearings

To: MG-Listen <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget front wheel bearings
From: Aglaster@RWTH-Aachen.DE
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 14:29:39 +0100
Hi, I'm new on the list and am owner of a 69 Midget (yellow). After
having restored the car completely I now have some problem with the front
whell ball bearings. As stated in the workshop manual I simply fitted new
bearings and tightened them to the specified torque. This resulted after
a few hundred kilometers in noisy bearings. After talking to some other
people, I think the replacement bearings are not of original
specification especially the  fitting of the distance piece is too loose.
So I put too much load on the ball bearings themselves.

My question is now: has anyone of You fitted roller bearings instaead of
normal ball bearings. This would provide a much easier way to adjust the
bearings. My parts dealer told me some racing guys did so but had to
machine the inner surface of the hub for that purpose.
Any comment on my problem is welcome.

Greetigs from good old germany to all of You.

Rolf Aglaster, Aachen, Germany
eMail: Aglaster@rwth-Aachen.de