Midget's Compression "too" high?

To: Fine Fast MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget's Compression "too" high?
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:21:06 -0500 (EST)
Dear SOLers,

I know this should be in a FAQ list, but maybe somebody has a bit of
Midget-experience he or she would like to share.

I checked the compression on my Midget the other day. Due to a poor
performance I thought a burned valve would screw up the compression. So I
found:   (front)  1    2    3    4  (rear)
                 185 200+  180  190 psi.

Sounds great, doesn't it? The reason why I bother to ask you is that I
read in the "British Marque" that it should be around 175 psi.

Is there anything peculiar about higher readings?
I don't know anything about this engine, besides it is a 1275cc possibly
still the original one from 1971. No knowledge about inner modifications.

Is is possible that the compression is lower if the engine is warmed up?
(The reason why it was cold is that the Midget is stored on blocks over the
winter).

I am really looking forward to read what you think about that!

Cheers,
        Gus

Agustin de la Calle                     '71 MG Midget (red)
Boston, MA                              '88 Toyota 4Runner (V6)
delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu