re: MGB Cowl Drain, Oil Filters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: MGB Cowl Drain, Oil Filters
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 19:44:31 -0500 (EST)
>From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
>  A previous poster mentioned removing & cleaning an MGB Cowl drain. I'd
>  like to remove mine to clean it, do you just grab onto it from
>  below and pull?

I found out about the drain one day when I was under the car poking
about.  I found this strange looking hose that as I recall has a bulge
built into it on the bottom which forms into a flat piece.  I said "hmmm
whats this?" and preceeded to prod it.  Of course there was a
considerable bit of rather nasty water and things which ran out and hit
me in the face...  I suggest that you don't clear it when you are
directly underneath it.  I basically squeezed open the drain and used a
screwdriver or something to clear out the gunk...

>  I seem to recall a few years back that someone more knowledgeable than
>  I (gee, THAT narrows it down!) said that the OEM UniPart filters
>  have the anti drain valve...

My '70 model roadster (with a '72 18V series engine) has an upside down
filter.  Its upside down in that when I remove it the oil pours out
everywhere.  I've gotten into the habit of poking a large hole in the top
of the filter about 5 minutes before I attempt to remove it.  It seems to
help let the oil drain back down into the engine.  I use an off the shelf
Fram filter (PH-43?).  Have not had any problems with having to build up
pressure upon starting.

John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC
with a patient '70 MGB waiting for me to pull the engine...