Re:

To: mgs@autox.team.net, N4JI@acad1.csd.unbsj.ca
Subject: Re:
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:41:14 -0600

>      I recently purchased my first MG and I was wondering what is
> considered to be high miles on a B engine. I would like you to assume
> that the car has been driven relatively easy, and regular tune ups
> and oil changes were accomplished. I would appreciate any and all
> answers to the question. The only answer I have aquired thus far is
> from an uncle who claims that no more than 30 to 35 000 miles cen be
> reached before doing a complete rebuild.

Anecdotal evidence follows:

I have a friend w/ 66 MGB (same family all it's life). The car has over
250000 miles on it w/out engine or tranny rebuild or ANYTHING done
to the driveline. I would say tghis is the exception...

about 100000 is high for any brit car of that era. The engines and drivelines
were designed in the 50's, when nobody drove more than a few thousand miles a
year at the most. However, the drivelines were also way over engineered,
which enables them to reach very high mileages...

Your uncle either drives his cars VERY hard w/out oil changes, or does
crap rebuilds requireing them to be rebuilt again after 30000 miles! ;)

Marcus