Re:

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 10:35:21 -0500
Sean Driscoll writes:
     I recently purchased my first MG and I was wondering what is
considered to be high miles on a B engine...  The only answer I have
aquired thus far is
from an uncle who claims that no more than 30 to 35 000 miles cen be
reached before doing a complete rebuild.

Sean -
Nine years ago I bought my '73 GT with 162,000 miles on it (according to
the title).  It was a bit loose, it burned/leaked a quart of oil about
every 200-300 miles and it was somewhat gutless - but the compression was
decent and quite even, and the oil pressure was good - always over 50#
under load and maybe 40# at idle.  At 175,000 miles the clutch went out and
I decided to rebuild rather than put that dubious, although reliable,
engine back in the car.  That was my first engine rebuild and I got a lot
of help/moral-support from a Leyland factory-trained mechanic-friend who
had serviced the car for the PO.  We concluded there was no evidence that
the bottom end of the engine had ever been apart.  That is perhaps
exceptional but with regular oil changes and prudent driving /maintainance
(let the oil pressure come up before backing out of the garage, etc), you
should expect 100,000 miles.  Your uncle's advice may come from a factory
service suggestion that if you change the rod bearings every 30-35,000
miles, the life of the engine would be extended.  I don't know anybody who
does that, though.

I would say that, regardless of mileage, if your oil pressure stays above
50# under load (it can drop to as low as 15-25# at idle, according to the
factory!), if the compression is fairly even, and if your oil consumption
is tolerable - put the top down and enjoy it.

Good luck,
Allen Bachelder