some help on seat belt

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: some help on seat belt
From: moressiw@acad.winthrop.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:22:31 -0400
WINTHROP UNIVERSITY                               Electronic Mail Message
                                        Date:     03-Apr-1995 10:08am EST
                                        From:     William J. Moressi
                                                  MORESSIW
                                        Dept:     Academic Computing/IM
                                        Tel No:   323-2281

TO:  Remote Addressee                     ( _smtp%"mgs@autox.team.net" )

I have a 1972 MG Midget Mark III that I've been working on for the last year.
I do have it running.  My first challenge is to get it to pass inspection.  I
live in Charlotte, NC and need to have all original pollution control equipment
on the car.  I have ordered most of those parts together with some seat belts
from an out-of-town dealer of used parts.

My first problem (I believe there will be many others).

I received 2 retractable seat belts, but they're in a "locked (retracted)
position.  I can't seem to pull out the belt regardless of how I hold
(position)
the belt housing.  On one side of the belt housing is a number (DAO 120/20  90
BC), on the other is a slotted screw that appears to have a spring winding
around it.  The label below this states "DO NOT REMOVE COVER".  I once took
apart a clock that had the same warning and everything flew apart in my face.
Obviously, I'm not anxious to do the same with this.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Bill from Charlotte.